Tuesday, May 15, 2007

To Raleigh, to the Outer Banks, back to Raleigh, and back to Asheville




Adventures to the east began Saturday morning, when I got up 2 hours later than usual, but still found a way to only get 5 hrs. of sleep. :( Really good way to set up for another sleepy few days. Oh my. And let me tell you about my danged eyes... No I'm not really gonna tell you, except that if you ever want a good piece of allergies, a) move to Asheville. b) work at the golf course. Guaranteed to work.
But who really cares about my allergies?
So we went to Raleigh on Saturday, my mom and Josh and Caleb. We went to my brother Ben's house and moved on to the J.C. Raulston Arboretum for Ben's graduation from the Landscape Architecture or Horticulture (or something) Department of NC State. 30 students, and the ceremonies kept going and going. It was fine though. We were inside, and it was fine.
Sunday after church, mom, Ben, Caleb, myself... left for OBX. (one must be cool to use that abbreviation). We went to the Elizabethan Gardens at the Lost Colony, and that was just beautiful.
[Here is the point where I should be inserting photos, but I don't have the CD with me. Sorry. They will come. Soon.]
We ate good places, saw cool lighthouses, were cold at the beach, drove a lot, had fun, chilled, and lots of other things.
If you have never been to the Outer Banks, you should go. That is the moral of this story.

I have been reading Sophie's World this weekend, too, just like my friend Sienna. I hope she doesn't mind me quoting the book like she has done...

"You can't experience being alive without realizing that you have to die... But it's just as impossible to realize you have to die without thinking how incredibly amazing it is to be alive. Sophie remembered Granny saying something like that the day the doctor told her she was ill. 'I never realized how rich life was until now,' she said. How tragic that most people had to get ill before they understood what a gift it was to be alive."

Actually this is rather like the idea that Sienna wrote about, how important it is to never lose that faculty of wonder. It is part of who we are as God's people, to see his handiwork and to marvel, seeing everything as through the eyes of a child, who has not yet become bored with his surroundings. Never see things as normal, because they are not. Ever. Everything was designed by our Creator, and we should see the world with a mix of wonder, fright, and joy.

4 comments:

Sienna said...

i dont mind at all that you quoted it sophie's world too... on the contrary! i really like that you're reading it too.. there's so much to discuss about it and think. im glad im not in this alone.

i remember that part... and i remember stopping and thinking. i keep doing that with this book.. so much information. im going to read it now.

kyrieanna said...

hey i just sort of touched on that topic from sophie's world...

i like this post. ESpecially your last paragraph. really well said.

kyrieanna said...

..touched on it on my blog post.

Anonymous said...

Word, Dan. Word.

It's so refreshing to see things and be to stuck by them. Little bits of grace God dispenses to us in our days.

And take some Claritin! Allergies are no good. Take the non-drowsy kind though.